So, I’m now in America! After almost eight years with IT Works UK and a career so far taking me from a trainee to MD of my own division, IT Works Health UK, Myself, my wife and three children have taken the plunge and gone for a major change of scenery.
A few months ago after seeing an internal advert for multiple job postings in our US office I noted my interest to transfer to the CEO and COO and went ahead with the internal transfer process to take me from bonny Lancashire to stunning Atlanta.
Initially, whilst surprised at my interest, everyone was very supportive and booked my family and I a one week trip to ATL as a taster to see if we could see ourselves being able to adjust out there. We viewed houses, looked at schooling as well as having a little time for some sight-seeing. Prior to this trip I had been to Atlanta once before for an IT Works weekend for our Annual Conference a couple of years ago, the US company was still quite new back then so I wasn’t 100% what to expect.
I was able to spend time in the office there on a few occasions over the week which at first was a little daunting but after a very short period everyone was extremely welcoming and I could see the similarities and differences between the UK and USA’s recruitment models. At first glance it seemed to me that US recruitment was very similar to the UK recruitment market but much bigger and upon ‘testing the water’, I noticed some interesting differences in the markets.
Things I’ve noticed in particular:
- Most firms I am dealing with have their own internal recruitment team
- Most people love the British accent, it gets you pretty far
- Once you have made the initial few touch points people can be pretty helpful pointing you in the right direction
- There is a lot of strong competition for candidates
- The markets are incredibly vast, so niche sometimes isn’t niche enough.
- Getting clients on the phone is tough at first so the “13 touches rule” comes into its own.
- There are innumerable market areas that are currently ‘untapped’
- Most of the market prefer traditional lead generation approaches.
From my point of view, I hope to bring a positive and focused work ethic to the IT Works Recruitment Inc team. I’m results driven so I hope I can encourage and motivate the newer staff in the US as well as underpin the IT Works Resource Group values.